Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The End of the Beginning



“When all is said and done, will you have said more than you have done?"
Sitting on the rooftop of our guest house I was prompted with this quote. Thoughts of school and sports flooded my mind as I tried to determine how this expression pertained to me. But the answer wasn’t in my head. It was sitting at the table. It was me, being here in Nepal; with the past two weeks being the perfect example. Every action I take is with the intent of doing more: pouring passion into my teaching today for a better tomorrow. I step into the classroom each day unaware of whether I will impact any students; but certain I might. This ignorance is constantly inspiring me. Perfectly aware that my skills don’t begin to encompass that of a trained teacher, it is my aim to present each subject in a way that may inspire a single student. Perhaps that interest will cultivate into a passion and shape years to come.

Day after day we have been teaching: eight classes for 40 minutes that are always subject to change. One of those days, rather than teaching social studies I was instructed to teach a life skills lesson on opportunity. In that chapter, there was a story and it went like this:

“One day a father of a rich family took his young son on a trip to the country to show him how poor people can be. They spent one day and one night in the farm of a very poor family. When they got back, the father asked his son, ‘How was the trip?’
‘Very good, Dad!’ the son replied.
‘Did you see how poor people can be?’ the father asked.
‘Yeah!’ said the son.
‘And what did you learn?’ asked the father again.
The son answered, ‘I saw that we have a dog at home and they have four dogs. We have a little swimming pool in our garden they have a huge river where they can swim. We have imported lamps in the garden; they have the stars. We eat junk food bought from the market; they eat fresh food from their own garden.’
When the little boy said this, the father was speechless.
The boy added, ‘Thanks Dad, for showing me how poor we really are.’”
This story took me aback. It was ironic; here I was an American teaching Nepali children to be grateful for the simple things. A lesson they live daily and I experience hardly enough. Sure enough, sitting in that class I was the student. Prompted to draw a picture of what they were grateful for hand drawn images of families, happiness, and community appeared. Not a single image depicted in their drawings could be bought; showing a far greater maturity than my thirteen year old self. After their completion, the pictures decorated a once barren wall. When my eyes wander throughout the class, more often than not they drift to those words and drawings plastered on the back wall. I am reminded of why I am here: for the simple things filled with an ever-lasting love.
A few days later I was hit with another surprise. 
On June 21st in the middle of my optional, yes optional, math class Suraj, the music teacher, stepped in. Unsure of what to do; I stepped away from the white board where Suraj has scrawled “World Music Day;” instantaneously the kids broke into song. Sitting in the back of the class, amidst the students with my back pressed against their drawings hanging on the wall, my heart was filled and a smile broke out across my face. Each student was wholeheartedly singing; even the boys sacrificed their pride as the class united in song.
Unity: that was the message of our home visit. In a bedroom in the house of my student Bini sat Blake, Krissy, and I squeezed together on the edge of the bed. Adjacent to us sat Bini, Roshni, and Laxmi sitting on the floor. In a stark room holding little more than the necessities, with protruding wires and several precious photographs adorning the wall, we were being fed an ample amount of tea, egg, and cookies with light conversations floating throughout. As our discussion came to a close I asked Roshni, Bini’s cousin and our makeshift translator, if we were what she imagined as Americans. Her answer: priceless. Without serious thought she answered that despite our physical differences we all have the same blood which keeps us rooted to each other.  Reminded of our home visit to Ghita’s in Morocco last year, I left wishing for more people to have this frame of vision and seek similarities rather than divisions.

I feel more grateful than anything else. I am now in Cambodia after our last day at LISHA School. Despite it being full of heart wrenching goodbyes I feel resolved. I went there with a purpose and I set out every day to accomplish it. As I stepped into the classroom for the final time I couldn’t help but smile. Yes, this was it; but each day had been better than the last. I was determined for our final day to supersede them all. Rather than focusing on new material, I spent the last day revisiting old content. It was gratifying to see my class be able to answer questions on a topic taught on the first day. This ratified what I was doing, since if nothing else, they understood my teaching. My concern coming into this trip was that I would act as a burden to their education, since a language barrier can cause a lack of comprehension. A difficulty I dealt with daily in Morocco. However, there our purpose was to teach English and lessen that barrier, whereas here we were teaching a little bit of everything. However, that day of review proved otherwise and the fear has now passed.
As the school day came to a close my heart continued to warm as I passed out gifts to the kids and tiny arms wrapped around my body. Tears began to prick my eyes as two of my students Suzal and Kirsh did a rendition of “See You Again” by Charlie Puth until one broke down into tears. But it wasn’t until everyone in my class had left and I was sitting in Class 10 listening to their music that my eyes began to water. The kids to whom I dedicated every waking breath were gone. They were on their same walk home, but as their backs turned to me there was an actualization that we were going our separate ways unsure of if our paths would cross again.
A class full of students is now a room full of my friends. Thank you to everyone at LISHA School and Milla’s Guest House for making Nepal feel like home.

               

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these powerful stories. These children are the future, and I am glad they met people like you and your teammates. May your time in Cambodia be as blessed as your time with these precious kids and their families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sarah. The pride I feel after reading this is only outweighed by the amount of love I have for you. It has been an honor to watch you grow throughout this journey....and were not done yet! ❤

    ReplyDelete